Published & Forthcoming
- Bar-On, D. “Crude Meaning, Brute Thought”, forthcoming in Journal for the History of Analytic Philosophy (special issue)
- Bar-On, D. and Jordan Ochs, “The Role of Inner Speech in Self-Knowledge: Against Neo-Rylean Views”, Teorema 2018
- Bar-On, D. “Minding the Gap: In Defense of Mind-mind Continuity”, forthcoming in Wittgenstein and Naturalism (Cahill and Raleigh, eds.), Routledge 2018
- Bar-On, D. and Richard Moore, “Pragmatic Interpretation and Signaler-Receiver Asymmetries in Animal Communication” , Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Animal Minds (Andrews and Beck, eds.), 2017
- Bar-On, D. “Gricean Intentions, Expressive Communication, and Origins of Meaning”, Routledge Companion to the Philosophy of Animal Minds (Andrews and Beck, eds.), 2017
- Bar-On, D. and Kate Nolfi, “Belief Self-Knowledge” , Oxford Handbook Online, 2016
- Bar-On, D. “Sociality, Expression, and This Thing Called Language”, Inquiry (special issue), 2016
- Bar-On D., and James Sias, “Emotions and Their Expressions” , Emotional Expression (Abell and Smith, eds.), Cambridge UP, 2015
- Bar-On, D. “Transparency, Expression, and Self-Knowledge”, Philosophical Explorations (special issue), (2015)
- Bar-On, D., (2015). Expression: Acts, Products, and Meaning. In Minimalism, Pragmatism, Expressivism: Essays on Language and Metaphysics, S. Gross, M. Williams, and N. Tebben (eds.), Oxford University Press. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D., Chrisman, M., and Sias, J. (2014). (How) Is Ethical Neo-Expressivism a Hybrid View? In Having it Both Ways: Hybrid Theories and Modern Metaethics, M. Ridge and G. Fletcher (eds.), Oxford University Press.
- Bar-On, D., and Sias, J. (2013). Varieties of Expressivism. Philosophy Compass.
- Bar-On, D. (2013). Expressive Communication and Continuity Skepticism. Journal of Philosophy. [pdf] (undergraduate RA: Kevin Richardson)
- Bar-On, D. (2013). Origins of Meaning: Must We ‘Go Gricean’? Mind & Language. [pdf] (RA: Matthew Priselac)
- Bar-On, D. (2012). Expression, Truth, and Reality: Some Variations on Themes from Wright. In Mind, Meaning, and Knowledge: Themes from the Philosophy of Crispin Wright, A. Coliva (ed.), Oxford University Press. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D., and Priselac, M. (2011). Triangulation and the Beasts. In Triangulation: from an Epistemological Point of View, C. Amoretti and G. Preyer (eds.), Ontos Verlag. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D. (2010). Expressing as ‘Showing What’s Within’. Philosophical Books. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D., and Green, M. (2010). Lionspeak: Communication, Expression, and Meaning. In Self, Language, and World: Problems from Kant, Sellars, and Rosenberg: in Memory of Jay F. Rosenberg, J. O’Seah and E. Rubenstein (eds.), Ridgeview. [pdf] (RA: Matthew Priselac)
- Bar-On, D., and Priselac, M. Origins: Subjective, Objective, Intersubjective.
- Ochs, J. and Bar-On, D. Speaking Your Mind in Your Mind: Inner Speech and Self-Knowledge
Here are some papers written on these topics before the creation of the ECOM:
- Bar-On, D. (2011). Externalism and Skepticism: Recognition, Expression, and Self-Knowledge. In Self-Knowledge and the Self, A. Coliva, ed., Oxford University Press. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D., and Chrisman, M. (2009). Ethical Neo-Expressivism. In Oxford Studies in Metaethics, Vol. V. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D. (2009). First-Person Authority: Dualism, Constitutivism, and Neo-Expressivism. In Erkenntnis volume on First-Person Authority. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D. (1995). Meaning Reconstructed: Grice and the Naturalization of Semantics, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly. [pdf]
- Bar-On, D. (1992). On the Possibility of a Solitary Language, Nous, 26, 27-46. [pdf]
As part of their ongoing work, members of ECOM produce summaries of and commentaries on ECOM-related materials in philosophy of language, meta-ethics, linguistics, cognitive and developmental psychology, ethology, evolutionary anthropology, and biology. Access to these is currently restricted to ECOM members. Contact Dorit Bar-On for more information.